MUSIC BABYYYYYYY

 I AM SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!


Ok. So one of the biggest elements of our film will be music. When the diner scene begins, there is music playing and it sets the tone. So, due to complications of not being able to pick out any song, I had to sue some research. 

I looks a few weeks ago and found that music is only in the public domain if it is from the mid 1920s or before. SO… since we didn’t want to just use flapper music, I looked for some songs that were popular, that may have been covers from older songs… older songs that were in the public domain. 

Sure enough… I found one. The famous song, “It Had To Be You” performed by Frank Sinatra was actually a cover of Isham Jones’ song from 1924. And yes, 1924 is public domain. I did some listening, and Jones’ version has lyrics, but you cant hear them well, if at all on Spotify. 

Sinatra’s lyrics matched, though it was newer sound and a bit different. I tried looking up if Sinatra’s version was in the public domain, since it is the same song, and long story short, it wasn’t. BUT… there was something that stuck with me. One person wrote that if you use something in the public domain, you can do whatever you want to it and it is yours. 

I did more listening and it hit me. Keira and I can use this song, but not from someone who owns it, Frank Sinatra. It would have to be the original, or… our OWN cover. So it hit me that if we were to find someone that can sing a cover to this song, it would fall into the gray area that is copyright usage, and no harm would be done.

So… yeah. It’s almost midnight and I had to write this out while I was still excited about it. It’s gonna be great. 

“It Had to Be You” by Isham Jones, 1924

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

Now... without further ado, I am so happy to show everyone my short film, Takeout. ENJOY!!!!! Takeout (Link) INSTAGRAM LINK @takeout.film PO...