MORE Music Troubles

 While I am away, I have also had time to listen to tons of music. One of my favorite genres and decades of music is 1960s. As I stated in previous blog posts, I wanted the soundtrack to influence the piece itself. 

I explained my troubles with Universal Music Group and acquiring the rights to “Escape (The Pina Colada Song).” I was very much set on including this song in my piece, but I also have to be realistic. 

As I was working in the groups during class a few days ago, I was viewing one students blog. In it, he also included a few posts about acquiring music. The thing that stuck out to me is that he did not use the same tactic as me. I went to the music licensing company and filled out tons of forms, while he DM’d artists on Instagram. Guess what: his worked. He got permission from using Instagram, while I went through a whole hassle to fill out even more forms. 

Though it seems like I am just complaining about filling out forms, that isn’t why I brought it up. I instead started to directly email and contact artists themselves to license it. I did not need the entire process, just written permission. I spent an hour or so finding a few other songs and emailing the group, or group members for permission. The list of songs/artists that were requested are as follows:


Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes

Kokomo by The Beach Boys

Be My Baby by The Ronettes

California Dreamin’ by The Mamas and the Papas

Maneater by Hall and Oates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

Now... without further ado, I am so happy to show everyone my short film, Takeout. ENJOY!!!!! Takeout (Link) INSTAGRAM LINK @takeout.film PO...