Music Rights

One of the most important parts of films, in my opinion, is the soundtrack. I am set on having music be an influence in setting the tone for me. Music has that impact, as it can really force people to think a certain way. 

For my opening, I am passionate on having the song “Escape (The Pina Colada Song),” by Rupert Holmes, play in the background. The reason I chose this song was because of its carefree message and the fact that it is relaxing and calming. This is what my opening is, as it starts off so carefree and then jumps into his "hobby."

The problem I am faced with, is that I need the rights for the song if I want to use it. I did some research and found out it was produced by Geffen Records. This record label is not around anymore, but through other companies, is now owned by Universal Music. I ended up emailing them for their permission and I am waiting on approval or denial. 


The email I sent is as follows:


Hi, my name is Jack Sussman. 
I am available for contact at ********** or *************@gmail.com.
(Do not want to disclose my info on the blog). 
I am currently doing a project for my high school media class in which I have to create a film opening. The name of the project is “A Day in the Life” and will be seen at my school, and online. 
I am requesting to use the song “Escape (The Pina Colada Song)” by Rupert Holmes, released in 1979.
It would match my project perfectly as it sets the carefree tone. The film opening revolves around a teenage boy, relaxing, showing the audience a day in his life, while also hinting at his macabre hobbies.
The song will only be used in the background, to set the mood and show the carefree environment that the main character lives in. 
The length of the song needed would only be two minutes of it.
The media rights required are strictly internet. The project is presented in my class, but also put online for samples.
I will only need the rights for roughly 3 months, as that is when the project will be presented. 
I have no production budget, as it is a school project. 
The video would most likely only be seen locally, though it could possibly be seen worldwide. 
Thank you so much, and I hope to hear back. 
-Jack Sussman



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

Now... without further ado, I am so happy to show everyone my short film, Takeout. ENJOY!!!!! Takeout (Link) INSTAGRAM LINK @takeout.film PO...